This recipe is from page 102 of the January 2012 issue of Woman’s Day magazine. It is quick and tasty.
Sausage, Cabbage and Red Onion Galette
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- small head cabbage, cored and sliced ½ in. thick (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoon(s) (small sprigs) fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 8 ounce(s) Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled into small pieces
- 3 ounce(s) extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1 (refrigerated) rolled pie crust
- 1 large egg, beaten
Heat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss together the onion, cabbage, thyme, oil, and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Add the sausage and Cheddar and toss to combine.
Working on a piece of parchment paper, roll the pie crust into a 14-in. circle. Slide the paper (and crust) onto a baking sheet. Spoon the cabbage mixture onto the pie crust, leaving a 2½-in.border all the way around. Fold the border of the crust over the cabbage mixture.
Brush the crust with the egg and bake until the crust is golden brown and the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. (Cover with foil if the crust is getting dark.)