This soup tastes like pizza in a bowl. It’s a great way to get a pizza fix without the fat and calories of pizza. This recipe is from Southern Living’s December 2000 issue.
Italian-Style Beef and Pepperoni Soup
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup sliced turkey pepperoni (3 ounces)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnishes: sliced fresh basil, shredded Parmesan cheese
Cook ground beef and pepperoni in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Rinse and drain beef mixture.
Sauté mushrooms and next 3 ingredients in hot oil in Dutch oven 5 minutes. Stir in beef mixture, tomato paste, and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.