This is a cleaned up recipe from Southern Living’s June 2001 issue. It is wonderful and rich. My version cuts out lots of unhealthy fats.
Hot Tomato Grits
- 2 slices turkey bacon
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles
- 3/4 cup shredded 2% Cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a heavy saucepan until crisp. Remove bacon to cool for crumbling. Do not clean pan. Gradually add broth and salt; bring to a boil.
- Stir in grits, tomato, and chiles; return to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish with crumbled turkey bacon if desired.