This harissa is absolutely delicious. We ate it over strips of grilled chicken. The recipe is from Bon Appetit July 2011 issue.
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red jalapeños or Fresno chiles, stemmed, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Roast peppers in broiler or directly over gas flame, turning occasionally, until charred all over. Transfer to a large bowl, cover, and let stand 15 minutes. Stem, peel, and seed peppers; coarsely chop.
Place peppers, next 4 ingredients, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor. Purée until very smooth. With machine running, gradually add oil. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired