Once again, I forgot to take a pic of my meal! This recipe and pic came from Eating Well February 2011 page 26. This soup is good, especially for warming you up on a chilly evening. Happy New Year everyone!
Quick Beef and Barley Soup
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- beef broth1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the steak and cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion and celery to the pot and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add tomato paste and thyme and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated with the tomato paste and are beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add barley, broth, water, salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook until the barley is tender, about 15 minutes. Return the beef and any accumulated juice to the pot and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar to taste.